Graduate Software Developer
FINBOURNE Technology recruits all year round for graduates to join our team and become an integral part of a fast growing business.
We view our graduate software developers as the future of FINBOURNE, which is why we take time to invest in their professional development through offering bespoke training and support from some of the most knowledgeable in the industry. We also provide the opportunity for graduates to rotate across our Engineering teams so that you get an unparalleled start to your career. From day one you will have hands on experience of building out our core products such as LUSID and Luminesce.
Working at FINBOURNE is fast paced and exciting. The most important qualities we look for are a hunger to learn, passion for quality and a willingness to take the time to collaborate, teach and learn from colleagues.
Job Title: Engineer
Location: London, UK
We are recruiting for graduates across each of our engineering teams:
- Security and Identity and Access Management
- Business Applications
- Platform and DevOps
- Sales Engineering
During the recruitment process we will determine where your current skills set lies and assign you to a team. However, during your time with FINBOURNE we offer the opportunity to rotate across all our teams to broaden your knowledge and skills giving you the perfect foundation for a successful career in software development.
We want to give you exposure to all areas of what we do which means, from the start, you can get involved in:
- Evolving our APIs so they’re both powerful and easy to use.
- Implementing business logic while learning more about finance.
- Building scalable and robust distributed systems which can support big data, with consistently fast response times that are upgraded multiple times per day.
- Ability to deploy to production from day one.
- Learning about and working within the security and privacy constraints of the finance industry.
- Give opinions on our marketing and commercial plans, which we share openly.
- Help us ensure everything we do is robust by writing tests for everything: From application, to infrastructure, to non-technical processes.
- Help us come up with innovative ways to monitor and measure our platform, so we can continually improve our customers’ experience and support them when things go wrong.
- Investigate cutting edge technologies and evaluate whether they would benefit us.
The key technologies which you will have the opportunity to use and learn are C# (.NET Core on Linux), Python, Go, PostgreSQL, AWS, Linux, Kubernetes, Docker, Angular… and that’s just right now!
How we will support you:
- You will be joining our existing graduates and working alongside highly experienced developers who will provide in-depth training for you on the job. These are people who have spent their careers at some of the most prestigious financial technology institutions and are eager to pass on their experience.
- During your first month with us, you will attend sessions on finance and related technology such as “Introduction to Investments and Asset Management” and “Functional programming style at FINBOURNE” given by our industry experts.
- During your first three months with us, you and your manager will form a development plan to document your training and induction so that you have clear objectives and are provided with support in areas that you require it the most.
- We run weekly sessions such as “Code Craft” (discussion of our engineering principles) and the “Finance Q&A” (past sessions have included “Inflation instruments and trading” and “Indexes, exchange traded funds, and benchmarks”). Anyone is welcome to join or present and it is a great opportunity for non-Finance focused employees to learn more about the industry.
- You will have regular 1-1 meetings with your manager and receive regular feedback from them.
- You will be assigned a mentor who will work closely with you to help learn the skills required to develop the highest quality software, because you will be soon working on important parts of our system.
- Regular morning “stand up” meetings with your team will allow you to quickly understand what your colleagues are working on, to share your accomplishments and if needed, to request help. You are welcome to join stand ups in other teams to understand what they are working on.
- Monthly company-wide meetings where you will receive regular updates and insight into our business strategy. This also gives employees the opportunity to ask questions.
- Everyone at the business is happy to answer any questions you have, and to help you really understand the answer.
What skills, experience and qualifications we require:
We are looking for graduates who are genuinely passionate and curious in their approach to learning and those who are driven to solve problems and apply critical thinking to their work.
You will have completed or be due to complete your degree this year in a STEM subject.
You will also ideally have some experience programming whether that's work experience, additional training programmes or a personal project.
As important as your technical skills are, we are also looking for candidates who display strong communication skills and who feel comfortable working in an informal, agile environment. We want people to join who are genuinely excited about our technology and have the capability and willingness to grow and learn from their colleagues.
Why work for us:
This is a unique opportunity to join a growing FinTech firm which has large ambitions and considers its employees central to its success. As well a commitment to your professional development, we offer the following benefits:
- Equipment: We supply all our graduates with brand new laptops tailored to their job role.
- Holiday: 25 days holiday plus bank holidays
- Performance related pay: Financial rewards which can include a direct route to a financial stake in the company via our discretionary Stock Options scheme
- Cycle to work scheme: Buy a bike and cycling accessories out of your pre-tax salary and spread the cost over 12 months.
- Pension: We offer a choice of pension schemes with employer contributions.
- Flexible and remote working: We have a mature attitude towards flexible and remote working. Whether you’re a night owl, morning person, parent, carer or simply need flexibility to work a different pattern to the norm, we’re committed to helping you be productive and work in a way that is best for you.
- Learning and training: We run regular internal training sessions on a wide variety of topics as well as a Mentoring Programme to help you develop new skills from experts within the business. We also offer free Udemy license to all employees to help develop your coding skills.
- Regular company-wide socials: Before lockdown last year, team and company-wide socials happened regularly. These ranged from bowling trips, visits to the science museum, company-wide breakfasts and ski holidays. We hope to resume all of that shortly! Since lockdown we have continued to run social events including online gaming tournaments, quizzes and weekly one to one virtual catch-ups to keep everyone connected!
- Maternity, paternity and adoption leave: Paid maternity, paternity and adoption leave, which includes 13 weeks full pay for maternity and adoption leave and 6 weeks full pay for paternity leave
At FINBOURNE Technology we are committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace. If you like the idea of working in a supportive environment surrounded by intelligent and fascinating people, mixing in with both experienced and blossoming minds, and being in a team that cares about its cause, then we’re a good fit. An enduring focus on quality, excellent communication skills and a willingness to take the time to collaborate with, teach and learn from colleagues are key to our company culture.
For more information about FINBOURNE, our team and values, please visit our website.